Thursday 11 August 2016

Women will help determine destiny of Zambia









By Ann Zulu

TODAY is Election Day - a day Zambians will decide who will be at the helm of the nation’s affairs for the next five years.
Zambian women, who form the majority of the nation’s population and the largest constituency 
of voters, are a great determinant in the outcome of the elections.
According to the final Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) Register of Voters certified on July 31, 2016, 3,372,935 out of 6,698,372 registered voters are women.
The expectation of Zambian women of the next Republican President is extremely high following the fact that all Presidential candidates have promised to make a difference in the lives of women in Zambia.
The candidates have assured women that they will be empowered and their lives will be improved by introducing programmes that will favour them. 
Although for now no one can predict whether Edgar Chagwa Lungu of the PF, Hakainde Hichilema of UPND, Edith Zewelani Nawakwi of FDD, Tilyenji Chanda Kaunda of UNIP, Peter Chazya Sinkamba of Greens, Wynter Kabimba of Rainbow, Saviour Chishimba of UPP, Andyford Mayela Banda of PAC or Maxwell Mwamba of DA will win the elections, this Reporter sought the views of women in Lusaka to find out what they expect from the next President as well as whether they will play an active role in deciding who she or he will be.
While some seemed excited about their preferred candidates, some said they would be home and enjoy the day as it had been declared a public holiday.
Mavis Chewe, a student at the University of Zambia (UNZA), believes that her vote will determine the future of Zambia.
She said she is not ready to risk the future of Zambia by not voting for the leader of her choice.
“I am going to vote because it is my right and also my vote will make a change and determine the fate of my country. I know that the person I have in mind will be able to take this country forward in terms of development.
“Had it not been for security reasons I would have loved to be at the polling station until the votes are counted, but since I can’t, I would rather go home and wait for the results to be announced on television,” she said.
Wana Kajila of Kanyama said her expectation of the next President is on women empowerment and a better life for the less privileged in society.
“I am definitely going to vote because this is another opportunity for me as a citizen and a woman of this country to take my destiny into my own hands. So I will take advantage of this chance that I have.
“After I cast my vote, I will be at the polling station till all the votes are counted; I will stay there until the winner is announced,” she said.
Kaoma Bwalya, a trade at City Market, is still undecided about a candidate and as a result, she decided to stay home today.
She however demands that whoever wins the race must be someone who will not leave women behind, and be able to defend them in any circumstance.
 “I am not going to vote because I don’t have any candidate in mind. On the day of elections, movement is quite restricted, so I won’t go to the market; instead I will just stay home and follow the news. But whoever becomes President must consider women before anything else,” she said.
Mercy Phiri, another trader, says that she is unable to vote because she does not have money to travel to the Copperbelt where she had registered from.
She however looks on the bright side and adds: “At least I will be at home relaxing rather than be under the sun whole day stressing myself. In the end, whoever God has confirmed will take over. I just pray that whoever will be elected will have the interest of the masses at heart,” she said.
Monde Kabwe is yet another woman who is not voting.
For her, she would have loved to but could not get her voters card because she was out of the country during the registration period.

Although she had a preferred candidate in mind, she says her plans are to spend time with family and listen to the results as they are announced in the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UNMASKING STICKER: The Cruel Drug Destroying Zambia's Street Children

A 16-year-old boy inhaling sticker By ANNIE ZULU Bare feet, dirty clothes, foul odour and holding small transparent bottles filled with wa...